Saturday, February 13, 2010

one of my endless guilty pleasures

I unexpectedly and strangely-comfortably fell into the lap of the X Factor-mania! More than three years ago, I remember listening, sort of puzzled, to my awesome academic friends in my graduate program who were then talking endlessly about American Idol! I was surprised by how much they enjoyed this silly reality show. Those smart people loving and embracing  the popular culture! (I was thinking it was only me with my other indulgences, ha!) :P But then I'd never seen the show and never been interested in seeing the show.

But oh man! After seeing it for just a few minutes, I had that "I'm-cool-enough-not-to-care-about-american idol" attitude stripped right off me. I stumbled upon this random American Idol and X Factor videos on youtube couple of days ago and the rest is history in my small life. This stuff is contagious! and yes I admit, I'm one of those people who love to hate Simon Cowell, the notorious judge on the show and one of its co-producers.

However, I kind of sort of got bored of American Idol pretty quick, while X Factor (UK) still keeps me incredibly entertained. I particularly like seeing contestants' first auditions rather than their live shows aka all-professional, big productions with dolled up dancers behind the performer. Usually, I'm very intrigued by the chemistry during the auditions. Aspiring singers come on stage, are introduced to the judges and the audience for the first time. The chemistry going on on this first encounter is always quite interesting to see. 

I think I've seen quite a few, and this below video my friends, is by far the best first audition I have seen (according to simon cowell it is the best on x factor history! and btw, you know what, to my surprise, I find myself agree with him most of the time. He always picks the best ones compared to the other judges.) Anyway, Danyl Johnson absolutely blew me away with his first audition. Unfortunately throughout the entire show, he just couldn't top this performance. Probably because he was very authentic and natural here, while on live shows he was just too much under pressure. But, oh my! just see this video:



And as far as the whole show goes (season 6) my guy was definitely Olly. I like his presence on the stage better. While singing big songs, performing and dancing perfectly he still manages to keep it real, imho. Too bad he lost it to joe. Anyway, below is his first audition and it is truly awesome!



And I absolutely have no idea why I am wasting my time on things like this. Watching them and forgetting about them is one thing, but watching them and writing about them is completely another! I don't think I will ever be able to forgive myself for enjoying this silly thing so much! :D

Guilty pleasures are slowly but surely becoming my life! I need to get a real one before that really happens! :P

No comments: